Logos are really important. They can be daunting to design but are a must for any business and are the cornerstone of any good business brand, or even a personal brand. You want your logo to explain who you are and what you do, why you do it, and how you do it. You’ll include it on social posts, presentation decks, marketing materials, business cards and more. That’s a lot of heavy lifting for one little graphic to do, right?
Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered with a whole load of logo design tips, tricks and walkthroughs from an actual Graphic Designer (i.e. me). Whether you’re a beginner or just in need of a refresh, follow these tips and tricks to help you get started and make a really good logo today.
A good logo should:
- Be eye catching
- Be memorable
- Be timeless
- Work well large or small
- Encompass your brand vibe
How do I find my brand vibe? WTF is a brand vibe anyways??
A brand vibe is how you want your brand to make people feel. Sometimes you might hear it called a brand personality. It should be consistent across your logo and content, and clearly set out in your brand guidelines.
Just as we want our law firms to feel respectable and trustworthy, we want our yoga studios to feel gentle and calm, and our party planners to feel fun and organized.
Once you discover your brand vibe, the logo making process gets a thousand times easier* (*not proven scientifically lol)
Top 9 Logo Design Tips & Tricks:
- A picture paints a thousand words
- Use empty space to keep your logo design clean
- Use shapes to think inside the box
- Imagine your logo in situ
- Color is key for good design
- Be literal with your logo
- Be authoritative with your logo
- Create visual salience with a pop of color
- Don’t reinvent the wheel when designing your logo